Every year at the San Diego Comic Convention, the great and the good of the comic industry are acknowledged via the Eisner Awards. Ahead of this year’s event on July 25th today the shortlist of nominees have been announced. Alongside the big hitters from Marvel, DC and Image are one list which we here at Pipedream Comics are particularly interested in – Best Digital/Webcomic series. Now in it’s second year it was won by MonkeyBrain’s outstanding Bandette in 2013, and this year sees another nomination for the digital first publisher, in the shape of Christophe Sebela and Ibrahim Mustafa’s Everest set crime thriller High Crimes (which is also nominated for best new series). Also on the list are a pair of stunningly rendered hand drawn web comics in Melanie Gillman’s As The Crow Flies and Dax Tran-Caffee’s Falling Sky, Brian Fies ‘work in progress’ The Last Mechanical Monster and Matthew Inman’s The Oatmeal.
- As the Crow Flies, by Melanie Gillman, www.melaniegillman.com
- Failing Sky, by Dax Tran-Caffee, failingsky.com
- High Crimes, by Christopher Sebela and Ibrahim Moustafa (Monkeybrain), www.monkeybraincomics.com/titles/high-crimes/
- The Last Mechanical Monster, by Brian Fies, lastmechanicalmonster.blogspot.com
- The Oatmeal by Matthew Inman, theoatmeal.com