What would you do if you felt the quality of comics on the iPad wasn’t up to scratch? Most people would just grumble and moan and keep buying inferior books, but publisher Russell Willis took matters into his own hands, created his own comics platform inventing the ‘deluxe digital graphic novel’. Taking existing books from some of his favourite writer/artists, Russell developed his own publishing platform along with his Panel Nine app development team in Tokyo, approaching the artists in question to record an in-depth audio commentary to give the books that extra layer of interactivity. After the success of his first release, From Hell artist Eddie Campbell’s Dapper John , he has followed it up with hard boiled crime drama Kickback from V For Vendetta artist David Lloyd. We got in touch with Russell to ask him how he came up with the idea for the deluxe graphic novel and what he think s makes this format so great for the iPad.
Top Posts & Pages
- Top 10 ComiXology alternatives
- Indie Comics Round-up: True Believers Comic Festival Special!
- ComiXology and Chill - digital comics giant unveil subscription service ComiXology Unlimited UPDATE: How it will affect ComiXology Submit publishers
- Can't read ComiXology Comics offline? We can help!
- Indie Comics round-up: Dirty Rotten Comics, Meanderings, Reads, Save Our Souls
- ComiXology and Chill – digital comics giant unveil subscription service ComiXology Unlimited UPDATE: How it will affect ComiXology Submit publishers
- Eisner Awards 2016 nominees announced
- Pipedream Comics launches debut issue of The Pull List
- Sequential releases digital guide to Comix Creatrix: 100 Women Making Comics exhibition
- Swedish studio Pencil United claims “Great Leap For Digital Native Graphic Storytelling” with new app
- Project Autumn #1 (Brambletyne Studios)
- These Memories Won’t Last (sutueatsflies)
- Indie Comics Round-Up: Finding Molly, Land of the Witching Hour, Maleficium, Rikki
- Brethren Born #2 (Level 8 Comics)
- Hometown: An Anthology (Laydeez Do Comics Birmingham)
- Artificial Flowers (Avery Hill Publishing)
- The City Inside (Avery Hill Publishing)
- Transfer #1 (Matt Garvey)
- Indie Comics Round-Up: 100% Biodegradable, Galaxafreaks, The Fist and Slime!
- Griff Gristle (Madius Comics)
- Opinion: Clash of the super heroes on comiXology
- Olly’s World of Indie: Flintlock, Blood, Samurai and Birmingham Comics Festival
- 5 of the best digital comics to get started
- Charlie Says: Body image in comic books seems only reserved for the incredibly skinny or muscular.
- What if: Indie/small press creators worked on the DC Rebirth.